Sunday, July 15, 2012

My First Quilt

My good friend, Stacey Salmon, got me quilting. She has made a ton of beautiful quilts, baby quilts, lap quilts for lounging around, quilts for her three sons, and most recently she made a quilt for each of the three young women in our church group who have graduated from high school and are moving on to college. I just finished the top of my first quilt. I wanted to have it done by Christmas, and I thought I had to start it really early in case it got frustrating. It was really fun and I guess I didn't need six months...I now just have to quilt it - I am going to try to do it with my sewing machine rather than sending it out to get quilted professionally, wish me luck. I'm sure I can figure it out, right?
It's far from perfect but I think it is pretty good for my first one. I can't believe how much I enjoyed making it. Maybe because it's partly an exercise in OCD? Now onto the quilt sandwich...

Fabric: Vintage Modern by Bonnie and Camille for Moda
Pattern: Vintage Holiday by Camille Roskelly

Favorite Parts: Choosing and buying fabric and a pattern - there are so many beautiful fabrics to look at, I probably loved fabric shopping so much because it's just like clothes shopping; adding the sashing (grey part) - it didn't take very long but it added a lot to the overall look

Least Favorite Part: border (red houndstooth) - since the print was directional I had to either cut the fabric the wrong way, or piece the top and bottom border together. Cutting the fabric the opposite way would have been the better thing to do, but I didn't plan for it so I had to do the second option. It sucked.

3 comments:

  1. AHHHHH I love it!!!! I am so happy you decided to make a quilt. I agree, fabric shopping is one of my favorite parts too. It looks great! Wish I was still there to sew with you :(
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so pretty! You'll do fine quilting on your machine. Are you going to try free motion quilting or do straight lines?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I was fully planning on doing simple straight lines so that I wouldn't mess up. Then last night I tried some free motion on a small quilt sandwich and it is really fun. This is how I am - I set out to do something really easy but then I get sucked into the project and it keeps getting more complicated. I remember back at BYU you were teaching yourself how to quilt/sew - do you still do it? Any quilting recommendations on books or other places to learn about it?

    ReplyDelete